Friday, June 13, 2008

1 year ago today......

Our phone rang.
It was Jan from CHSFS. I had just returned from Seattle the day before and I was folding laundry, Ryan was on his way home from school.
It was a Wednesday at 1:53 in the afternoon.
The rest is a blur.
I remember looking at the caller ID, seeing CHSFS and shaking. I remember Jan asking me if I wanted to conference Ryan in and I said "No! Just tell me!!! I'll fill him in when he gets home!" I remember that I didn't cry...I didn't cry until much later but I couldn't stop shaking. I remember Jan's exact words were "I have a little girl I want to tell you about....."
I called Ryan as soon as I hung up with Jan and told him "We are parents!" he couldn't understand me and I said it like 3 more times before screaming "YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER!!! " I waited until he got home to open the email (I paced outside, cursing him for taking so damn long) Of course, we couldn't open the picture file and I was practically in hysterics and had to call CHSFS to ask them to help us.

Gosh, seeing that photo for the first time.....the feelings I had are indescribable. She was ours. Our baby girl. All of the waiting and stress was gone (of course, only to be replaced with more waiting and a much different type of stress!)

What a wild and crazy journey we have been on. That adorable 2.5 month old baby in the photo is now a gorgeous and very rambunctious toddler.
Sometimes I still can't wrap my brain around it!






Oh, how I love this little girl with all of my heart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you made me cry!! I got chills reading your account. It is an incredible moment and how amazing that you are a family.

Sarah said...

I also cried over here. I remember her just about that size. The year has flown.

betty and aster said...

ahhh, look how little she was...such a cutie-how can she just keep getting cuter is beyond me!

cathy said...

The one year anniversary is amazing, isn't it? I loved reading your story again. How precious.

jayme said...

She is really quite amazing. And we are lucky to call you guys our friends! Happy 1 year. Heres to a bazillion more!

gigglechirp said...

Special day! beautiful girl.

Time sure flies! (when not waiting for referral!)

good wishes
Jenni

Stacie said...

Happy referral-versary! Isn't it amazing how the last year has gone by so quickly? Ours is coming up this week (and we traveled around the same time too I think).

Melanie said...

I just love these stories!!! What an amazing milestone!!! Congrats!!!!!

PS....what a cutie you have!!!!