Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sick

That is the only way to describe how I am feeling tonight. I am just sick.

We received an email from CHSFS tonight stating that effective immediately they are suspending any contact with our children's birthfamilies. For the families that are travelling soon, this means that they will not have the opportunity to meet any family members. For us, it means that we will not be able to have any ongoing contact with Nora's family in Ethiopia. I had just sent in the required paperwork to Post-Adoption Services and was anxiously waiting for word of what to do next when they dropped this bombshell.

How could they do this to our children?

How could they do this to all of the families in Ethiopia, the parents and grandparents wondering what has become of their children?

From what I can gather, the very new & sudden rule has something to do with the US Consulate in Ethiopia and the wording of "true orphan". CHSFS is sending representatives over to Ethiopia and hopefully they can work all of this out soon.

I am just so sad and worried. Life is so fragile and I don't want to lose Nora's family, lose the chance to connect with them. I don't want Nora to lose the chance to connect with them.

My heart is just so heavy tonight.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Heartsick and devestated as well.
(((((HUGS)))))

Stacie said...

That is so sad... I haven't heard anything yet, but I assume this will be the case with all agencies? That was one of the beautiful things about Ethiopia- the connection with the birthfamily. I'm sad with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh so this is what is going on. I am sad to say this doesn't at all surprise me and I wonder ultimately who this is protecting.

I'm sorry Katie and Nora.