
I just finished reading The Hospital by the River and can't decide if I liked it or not.
It was a moving book, it really opened my eyes to a devastating problem that I didn't even know existed. The stories of the women were incredible and I enjoyed reading about Ethiopia and some of it's political history but I felt that the book was all over the place and didn't focus on the women enough. Sure, there was a story here and there but they were all sort of lumped together as one poor, sad, devastated fistula pilgrim. It came off as though she was talking down to them. I'm sure she wasn't, she has helped the women of Ethiopia enormously, but I guess I just didn't like her tone of writing.
All in all, it was a good book and I wished I had read it before we travelled to Ethiopia. I really would have liked to visit the fistula hospital. Her book has really made me want to go back and visit more of the country, I am seriously contemplating going back alone in the very near future to do some volunteering and a little travelling :)
*edit- check your local PBS stations! A Walk to Beautiful is airing May 13


2 comments:
Can I go with you?
You sure can!!
Post a Comment