Monday, August 24, 2009

*Sigh*

So, we arrive at a very large local park that has, quite possibly, the worlds largest sandbox. It is filled with buckets and shovels, as well as all sorts of cool water things. The sandbox is filled with kids of varying ages, most are white, none are black. Tiny walks in, I take off her shoes and sit down. She is not 2 steps from me when a woman sitting 10 feet from me looks at T, looks down at her daughter and back at T. She then says very loudly in an almost frantic voice "Anna, hurry up and grab your shovel! You don't want someone else to play with it!!"
All the while looking at my kid, who by the way, was heading in the other direction and totally not interested in her kid or the shovel.

Grrrrrr......

What, if anything, would you have done?



-- Post From My iPhone

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I would have wanted to do something not so nice....but probably wouldn't have none anything....maybe get as far away from the &@%)# as I could!!!!!!!

Stacie said...

I hate that!! I had a bad day at the park today too and was fuming by the time we left. Sometimes I do say something, but usually in a (bad) passive-aggressive way - like saying something to Micah that gets my point across. I should probably be more direct, but, I'm a wimp.

Mark and Sarah said...

Ugly! I think I *might* have said--"No worries, there are plenty of shovels around here." I hate those kinds of situations that leave me tongue tied and wishing I had said something.

Sarah said...

I would have smiled and said to her, "don't worry, she only bites the mean kids."

cathy said...

i would have had heartburn because i would have been seething. there's a whole lot of things i would WANT to say, but they would have gotten me arrested. hugs!

Tiny's Mom said...

Here's what I did. I moved myself a little closer to her and then glared at her until she was uncomfortable and got up and left. Probably not the best. I would have said something to her is she had said something directly to either of us but since she was being passive agressive, I was too ;). It's so hard. I was fuming on the inside but T didn't know that she said anything and is too young to understand. I didn't want her to know I was upset so I silently seethed!

jayme said...

Ugh! What a horrible, terrible, no good, really bad person!

I think I would have addressed my kids directly and said something along the lines of how sharing is always the kind thing to do, and how sometimes other people don't want to share their toys, but that we should be an example of good behaviour for them so that next time maybe they'll make better choices.