Wednesday, April 02, 2008

African Reading Challenge

This challenge was posted over on another blog and I thought "Hey, why the heck not?" I really should be reading more anyway so here goes...drum roll please...

My Mission for 2008 (in no particular order)
  1. 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen
  2. The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengnestu
  3. We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Phillip Gourevitch
  4. Sweetness in the Belly: A Novel by Camilla Gibb
  5. Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  6. The Hospital by the River: A Story of Hope by Catherine Hamlin

3 comments:

cathy said...

Stories From Rwanda sat by my bed for weeks... and I would look at it, KNOWING that I needed to read it. And I couldn't. It was so heartbreaking to think about, I was reluctant to submerge myself in its words. Totally selfish on my part. So hats of to you for such a stellar reading list. You are awesome!!!

Stacie said...

Great idea. I just finished a book by a South African writer and am now reading one by an Ethiopian-American. I love it - it has these little hints of Ethiopian culture. It's called "The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears" in case you're interested.

Stacie said...

Oh I'm so stupid! I swear I looked at your reading list before I left that last comment. I think I need a nap.