As I was reading it I recalled a conversation I had with one of my son's peers' mother. We were discussing college entrance. I mentioned that my son had gotten a scholarship - awarded to him by the business program he was entering. She said to me (word for word), "Oh yeah, that's right he's got that African-American thing going on."
He is biracial so in her mind the reason for the scholarship was race, not the fact that he had a 4.2 grade point average!!!
1 comment:
Great post.
As I was reading it I recalled a conversation I had with one of my son's peers' mother. We were discussing college entrance. I mentioned that my son had gotten a scholarship - awarded to him by the business program he was entering. She said to me (word for word), "Oh yeah, that's right he's got that African-American thing going on."
He is biracial so in her mind the reason for the scholarship was race, not the fact that he had a 4.2 grade point average!!!
Post a Comment