For the month of January I have given up spending money on anything other than essentials. Groceries are ok, but I am trying to be more aware of what I buy and whether or not it is really "essential". Coffee in bulk is ok. I think I would wither up and die if I didn't have coffee. It is most certainly an essential. Coffee from Dunkin' Donuts is not. No more lunches on the fly, I need to be more prepared when we leave the house. No more throwing things into my cart at Target....in fact, I am trying to avoid that place all together!
Today marks day #5 of the challenge and y'know what? It hasn't been that bad. I have been brewing my own coffee at home and taking a travel mug (Love you Keurig!!). I have been making my own breakfast sandwiches too (another typical commuting splurge of mine) and bringing lunch to work. We have also have plans to make a bunch of meals in the slow cooker. It is easy and generally stews and such last us a few days.
As far as entertainment goes, we did go to the movies on New Years Day but Ryan bought the tickets and he isn't playing along ;) So.....that doesn't count...right?
Otherwise, we already have a membership to the Kid's Museum and have plans to hit a couple of the local museums in the next weeks on their free days. On Tuesdays, Borders has free storytime, which is great...except I have to avert my eyes from all of the books so I am not tempted. I did hit up the library on Sunday for reading material so I should be ok.
It was hard to tell T no when she asked for a Starbucks today when we pulled into the parking lot of Borders but y' know, she said "Ok Mom!" when I explained that we are trying not to spend money in January. No tears :)
So far, so good....I think. It is actually a good feeling having this kind of control.
Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Nice - welcome aboard! Glad to know you are among the crazy blogging mamas who are taking this on!!!! Good to meet you here, too - I'm a reader but I don't think I've ever commented.
I'm impressed, Katie! That's a lot of work. Are you doing it for any particular reason? Does it stop Feb. 1? It's definitely an eye opener to do an exercise like this, isn't it?
-Tiffany
I'm impressed, Katie! That's a lot of work. Are you doing it for any particular reason? Does it stop Feb. 1? It's definitely an eye opener to do an exercise like this, isn't it?
-Tiffany
Yay for blogging and double yay for doing 30 days of nothing! I've found it to be really liberating as well, so far. Let me know when you're thinking of hitting up the museums and maybe we'll join you!
This website lists free days for all of the museums all year:
http://www.chicagohotblog.com/chicago-museum-free-days
YAY YOU!!!! You DO feel more in control and you DO feel like you're saving a ton. Keep up the hard work.
Tiffany- not doing it for any reason. I got the idea from my friend Cathy's blog and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm only doing it until Feb 1st but I hope that this challenge will give me some insight into what I really "need" vs "want" and I will be better about my spending in the future :)
Post a Comment